This fireplace was a bit of a sight for sore eyes with it’s ugly black emulsion paint and, yes, that’s yellow gloss!! So after consulting with the Conservation officer because that is actually Bath Stone, we got permission to remove the bricks and paintwork with care not to damage the original.
So, I put my strong arms on while Owen plumbed in the temporary kitchen and got an inside loo to work. And brick by brick I took it out and found a lovely deep fireplace in thick soot that was hundreds of years old…
The next job was to remove the ugly paint job, which actually was much easier than we anticipated. With a little bit of heat it peeled off and now we have a lovely fireplace! Job done!
You can also see the 3rd coat of limewash is also on – only 2 more to go!