A big step on the bathroom front!

Everything needs to happen in a certain order when doing an entire room. New floor joists had to be put in, which meant taking the others out and Owen did this when I was away in Yorkshire with the children.

We then had the usual bother of getting some windows made as the old ones were not that old and not the right fit for the newly opened up original window hole!

IMG_0598.JPG

Eventually, we got a frame and sashes made, and then the frame needed to be fitted…

IMG_0600.JPG

Creative woodworking is required when trying to fit square windows into a wonky hole!

IMG_0658.JPG

Meanwhile the glazer managed to forget that we requested frosted glass and had to get the glass out, breaking some in the process and taking a further three weeks to sort it out… Ho hum.

The sashes came back last week and we got the linseed paint on and today Owen could finally fit them and restore light to our bathroom!

IMG_0660.JPG

The picture shows Owen balancing the windows with the lead weights.

IMG_0662.JPG

They were sealed in with burnt sand mastic, a traditional way to seal windows. It’s made of burnt sand and linseed oil.

Now we can start plastering… But not tonight!

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “A big step on the bathroom front!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s